Extended Term Consultant - Access to Finance Specialist (July 2014)
Extended Term Consultant - Access to Finance Specialist
infoDev is seeking to hire an Access to Finance Specialist (ETC) to be part of its Access to Finance Team. This position is based at the World Bank's headquarters in Washington, DC. The application deadline is August 10, 2014.
- The Mobile Innovation Program (MIP) supports growth-oriented mobile apps businesses, by: a) Enabling entrepreneurship in the mobile industry, b) Building mobile innovation communities, and c) Researching the app economy of emerging markets.
- The Climate Technology Program (CTP) accelerates climate technology innovation and entrepreneurship in developing countries, aiming to transform climate change challenges into market opportunities.
- The Agribusiness Innovation Program (AIP) seeks to catalyze the green growth of a competitive agro-processing sector and, in turn, harness greater developmental gains in the form of inclusive and sustainable growth and job creation.
- The Access to Finance program helps high-growth startups gain access to the early-stage capital and mentorship necessary to launch businesses and thrive.
- We promote the role of Women Entrepreneurs who establish companies, spur innovation, create jobs, and the drive the charge toward gender equality in the developing world.
- Design, implement and oversee a range of A2F projects and activities, in line with the results agreed with infoDev’s donors, and according to the fiduciary requirements of the World Bank, the implementing capacity of the client countries, and the specific needs of local business communities. This includes scoping and feasibility analyses, efficient and cost-effective project planning and implementation, regular interaction and engagement with a range of local stakeholders in the client countries from the public, private and NGO communities, and regular briefings to Bank and IFC colleagues to ensure that these projects support and are consistent with larger World Bank and IFC private sector development goals;
- Provide detailed advice and hands-on technical assistance to a range of Bank/IFC colleagues, client countries and other relevant stakeholders on good practices, international trends and developments for assisting small business entrepreneurs, and regularly keeping pace with innovative new approaches to assisting SMEs, start-ups, entrepreneurs and innovators in the developing world;
- Be part of the team that designs and implements new thematic accelerators and incubators, such as mobile applications labs, agriculture innovation and entrepreneurship centers and climate innovation centers, focusing on the financing dimensions of these projects;
- Work with the team to develop a comprehensive A2F strategy for infoDev including assessment of client needs, development of products infoDev can offer, and an appropriate approach for design and deployment compliant with World Bank Group procedures and processes;
- Seek and realize opportunities to develop and deploy infoDev A2F products in conjunction with other relevant World Bank Group initiatives and projects and forge close links to the appropriate WBG units and teams;
- Implement A2F products consistent with relevant World Bank procedures including procurement guidelines; procedures for grants; environmental and social safeguards and financial management (FM);
- Develop and pursue strategies to leverage infoDev A2F products and related funding by drawing in additional funding sources, including other World Bank projects, other bi- and multi-lateral development agencies, client governments, and commercial and impact investors;
- Keep up-to-date on latest developments in the dynamic A2F sector liasing with impact investors, seed funding facilities and others working in this field with the view to forging links for infoDev to these other actors;
- Create or catalyze regional angel/mentor networks that benefit from diaspora and other national and international angel networks;
- Investigate innovative mechanisms to lower transaction costs for scale-down investments in the $25,000 to $1 Million range.
- At least a Master’s degree in business administration, finance or similar discipline and minimum five to seven years of related Bank and/or external experience. Experience in the World Bank would be a plus;
- Understanding of and experience with the A2F needs on entrepreneurs, SMEs and other new ventures in client countries
- Understanding of and experience working with financial products blending concessional with more commercial funding
- Understanding of how provision of appropriate financing can fit within a holistic package of services (e.g., business advisory services) to assist entrepreneurs, SMEs and other new ventures in client countries.
- Desire to develop and implement innovative A2F approaches and products for developing countries.
- Experience working in climate technology sectors (renewable energy, energy efficiency, agriculture and water supply) considered a plus.
- Demonstrated knowledge of business incubation, business acceleration, and other relevant means of enabling early-stage enterprises to start and grow;
- Knowledge of innovation support systems, including relevant actors, such as financiers, R&D and/or university institutions, government ministries, and other local and international organizations and actors;
- Demonstrated understanding of World Bank Group instruments and operations, including the relevant guidelines, procedures and fiduciary requirements will be a plus;
- • Excellent project management skills and track record in successfully planning and executing projects in developing countries or emerging markets;
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to communicate effectively with staff, clients and partners at junior and senior levels;
- Excellent writing skills and command of the English language.
- Ability to work independently, willingness to learn, a positive, energetic and ambitious work attitude, and aptitude to work within a team environment;
- Results orientation; and
- Capacity to manage multiple complex tasks in parallel.
- Operational Project Management - Demonstrates broad knowledge of project management tools & methodologies; identifies key risks and mitigation measures; interprets background analysis and proposed solutions.
- T&C Knowledge & Experience - Demonstrates broad knowledge of the core issues in T&C's strategies and policies, and promotes T&C agenda and expertise in the Country Office and in the financial and/or private sector stakeholders.
- Client Orientation - Takes personal responsibility and accountability for timely response to client queries, requests or needs, working to remove obstacles that may impede execution or overall success.
- Drive for Results - Takes personal ownership and accountability to meet deadlines and achieve agreed-upon results, and has the personal organization to do so.
- Teamwork (Collaboration) and Inclusion - Collaborates with other team members and contributes productively to the team's work and output, demonstrating respect for different points of view.
- Knowledge, Learning and Communication - Actively seeks knowledge needed to complete assignments and shares knowledge with others, communicating and presenting information in a clear and organized manner.
- Business Judgment and Analytical Decision Making - Analyzes facts and data to support sound, logical decisions regarding own and others' work.