Extended Term Consultant - Online Communications Officer (October 2013)
Extended Term Consultant - Online Communications Officer
infoDev headquarters in Washington, DC
Seeking an Online Communications Officer / ETC to plan, design, execute and monitor communications and campaigns on infoDev’s website and social media portals. Apply by November 24.
To apply, follow the instructions on the World Bank jobs portal.
Background & General Description
infoDev (www.infodev.org) is a global multi-donor program in the Financial and Private Sector Development (FPD) Network of the World Bank Group. Its mission is to enable innovative entrepreneurship for sustainable, inclusive growth and employment in developing countries. It manages several trust funds focused on building up high-tech entrepreneurship ecosystems in various industries (e.g. climate technology, mobile applications, agribusiness) and regions (e.g. East Asia, the Middle East and North Africa, Eastern Europe and the Caucasus, Sub-Saharan Africa, and the Caribbean).
The communications function within infoDev drives the development and implementation of an integrated and multi-channel communications strategy. The Online Communications Officer / ETC is responsible for planning, designing, executing and monitoring communications and campaigns on infoDev’s website and social media portals. He/ she is also responsible for writing for web and social channels as well as guiding multimedia products designed for the website.
This is a one-year Extended Term Consultancy (ETC) position with the possibility of a one-year extension.
Roles & Responsibility
The Online Communications Officer plays a strong content coordination and project management role in the day-to-day operation of infoDev’s external site and social media channels, and as a member of the wider FPD Communications Team, aligns with the World Bank’s messaging with regard to private sector development, trade and competition. Among the principal responsibilities of the position are:
- Ensuring that infoDev’s online strategy is aligned with the network’s and corporate priorities, as well as with the Bank’s web-related policies
- Translating strategic objectives into an online communication action plan, including detailed editorial and social media calendars.
- Preparing and maintaining a web editorial calendar in coordination with the unit, the FPD network, and regional communications staff.
- Developing and leading implementation of online campaigns (web marketing) to target key audiences, and measuring success in achieving them.
- Planning and integrating the use of social media and other audience engagement tools as part of engagement strategy, and advising or leading others in their use to ensure maximum effectiveness.
- Working with staff in conceptualizing and writing content or commissioning specific content to be written by online writers or staff elsewhere in Bank.
- Developing a pipeline of infoDev-related blogs and bloggers by contributing to the World Bank’s Private Sector Development Blog
- Reviewing and monitoring of infoDev-related websites for quality and timeliness, as well as for compliance with Bank information management procedures and practices.
- Visual Communications: carrying out image research and manipulation for web and social media content and working with graphic designers on the design of online reports, publications, and marketing materials.
- Participating in related web governance groups, sharing knowledge, and ensuring good practices.
- Establishing key performance indicators and reviewing web metrics reports; sharing results and recommendations with management and staff.
- Website maintenance: As the need arises, changing settings on the infoDev staging server, carry out bug testing, and bring them live on infoDev.org. In addition, he/she will interface on a regular schedule with an off-site web maintenance team
Selection Criteria & Competencies
- Master’s or bachelor’s degree in Communications, International Relations/Public Affairs, Journalism, Marketing, Design, or other related disciplines, with a minimum of 5 years (with master’s) or 8 years (with bachelor’s) of relevant experience.
- A minimum of five years’ experience in writing, producing and/or editing for the web.
- Proven writing and editing skills, with a strong command of English and an ability to convey complex ideas in a creative, clear, direct, and lively style.
- Deep knowledge of and ample work experience in social media principles and Web 2.0 technologies to execute, lead or advise others in web campaigns and online audience engagement tools.
- Ability to initiate and manage a continuing editorial process and to conceptualize and execute the online packaging of content.
- An in-depth understanding and problem-solving approach to project management as it relates to complex, multifunctional projects.
- Ability to leverage online communication tools and methodologies (such as online monitoring, web analytics, or other online measurement tools) and to lead research efforts that identify and map project stakeholders or intended audiences.
- Ability to prioritize, work well under pressure and capably handle/juggle multiple tasks within tight deadlines. Experience working with cross-functional teams.
- Knowledge of international trends and political/economic issues related to development, and to the technology and innovation field in particular
- Solid experience in producing for the web and deep familiarity with HTML, CSS, and Drupal preferred.
- Proficiency in the use of graphic design software like Adobe InDesign and Photoshop and video editing experience a plus.
- Experience in search engine optimization and online marketing.
- Ability to work independently as well as in teams; ability to work in loose unstructured environment with fast-emerging opportunities.
Communication in International Development - Understanding of international development issues and of the communication needs of key stakeholders, such as bilateral donors, the private sector, foundations, NGOs, and academic institutions.
Online Content Editing and Drafting - Deep proficiency in executing, leading, or advising others in drafting simple or complex communication materials that leverage SEO strategies, and methodologies that maximize online content’s effectiveness.
Online Communication Strategy, Planning, and Execution - Demonstrated proficiency with online communication tools and methodologies, and thorough understanding of stakeholder needs; can plan, develop, and execute effective online communications strategies.
Online Production Tools - Demonstrated proficiency with graphic design principles, industry-standard web applications, and multimedia production.
Online Performance Measurement and Impact Analysis - In-depth proficiency in online usage data, trends and analysis results; setting appropriate KPIs, developing gap analysis, producing reports, and making recommendations for action; can measure the effectiveness of existing online communications strategies or design new ones.
Project Management - Demonstrates expert knowledge and understanding of project management concepts as they relate to the implementation of complex, multi-functional projects in varied geographical and economic conditions.
Client Orientation - Effectively identifies and meets (internal or external) client/constituent needs; builds productive client/constituent relationships; delivers client-centric solutions; takes responsibility for ensuring client/constituent satisfaction and loyalty.
Teamwork and Inclusion - Values working in collaboration and respecting the views of others; understands differences in culture and values and the importance of including others’ views in achieving the strategic goals of the World Bank and its partners.
Knowledge, Learning, and Communication - Leads in the sharing of best practices, trends, knowledge and lessons learned across units and with clients and partners, articulating ideas in a clear and compelling way across audiences of varied levels.
Business Judgment and Analytical Decision Making - Gathers inputs, assesses risk, considers impact and articulates benefits of decisions for internal and external stakeholders over the long term.
Please use the same template and provide close-ended questions only.
- Do you have ample work experience (five years or more) in web editing, producing for the web, and writing for the web? Yes/No
- Have you managed organizational websites (including the writing, editing and production processes as well as maintaining an editorial calendar) for more than 2 years? Yes/No (SAMPLE)
- Do you have profound knowledge of programs like HTML, CSS, and Drupal as well as graphic design software like Adobe InDesign and Photoshop Yes/No
- Do you have ample experience (2 years or more) in leading web marketing and social media campaigns? Yes / No
- Do you have communications work experience in the field of technology, innovation and entrepreneurship?