Extended Term Consultant - Program Officer, EPIC (July 2014)
Extended Term Consultant - Program Officer, Entrepreneurship Program for Innovation in the Carribean (EPIC)
infoDev is seeking to hire a Program Officer for the Entrepreneurship Program for Innovation in the Caribbean (EPIC). This position is based in Kinsgton, Jamaica. Apply by August 10, 2014.
To apply, follow instructions on the World Bank jobs portal.
- The Mobile Innovation Program (MIP) supports growth-oriented mobile apps businesses, by: a) Enabling entrepreneurship in the mobile industry, b) Building mobile innovation communities, and c) Researching the app economy of emerging markets.
- The Climate Technology Program (CTP) accelerates climate technology innovation and entrepreneurship in developing countries, aiming to transform climate change challenges into market opportunities.
- The Agribusiness Innovation Program (AIP) seeks to catalyze the green growth of a competitive agro-processing sector and, in turn, harness greater developmental gains in the form of inclusive and sustainable growth and job creation.
- The Access to Finance program helps high-growth startups gain access to the early-stage capital and mentorship necessary to launch businesses and thrive.
- We promote the role of Women Entrepreneurs who establish companies, spur innovation, create jobs, and the drive the charge toward gender equality in the developing world.
- Stakeholder engagement: In close coordination with the Program Manager, ensure appropriate coordination and maintain strong relationships with all relevant stakeholders, ranging from client country counterparts, World Bank and IFC colleagues, angel investors, Caribbean diaspora members, development partners active in the Caribbean, with a view to increasing the overall effectiveness of the program.
- Operational Effectiveness of EPIC: Work closely with the Program Manager and the infoDev senior management team to ensure coordination and complementarity with the broader EPIC, infoDev and World Bank agenda: Work closely with colleagues and counterparts to ensure that deliverables are linked to and support the broader goals of the EPIC program, infoDev’s mission and mandate and the goals of the World Bank in the Caribbean region and the goals of the donor, and ensure timely disbursements, reporting and measurement of results against PMF;
- Donor Engagement: Ensure the timely and accurate preparation of all necessary status reports, summary tables, budget statements of account and any other materials, including documentation for all Steering and Management Committee meetings with Canada;
- Supervision of Activities: In close coordination of the Task Team Leaders (TTL) for each of the sub-components of EPIC, oversee and supervise closely all individual activities and projects financed under EPIC in the field, ensuring adequate and timely progress in project preparation and implementation, as well as strong adherence to Bank rules and guidelines and in complaiance to Bank operations and TF process;
- Coordinate EPIC regional missions and events: Coordinate with EPIC Team, staff and consultants, to ensure EPIC regional missions and events are effectively organized. This includes managing a calendar of events to plan EPIC regional events, proactively engaging appropriate stakeholders in the regional events, supporting communications teams with any communications efforts, and ensuring effective administrative and logistics arrangements;
- Business Development: engage and communicate regularly with donors, international partners and other to forge collaboration with infoDev and EPIC Program. Work closely with the infoDev Communications team to ensure that milestones and successes are properly publicized and showcased; creating links to infoDev activities in other parts of the world, and making efforts to codify and disseminate development knowledge and learning;
- Representation of infoDev: As appropriate represent infoDev at the Carribean events, workshops and speaking engagements; and
- Perform any other duties as required by the Program Manager.
- At least a Master’s degree in business, economics, or a related discipline and least five to seven years of relevant experience;
- Direct experience, with some experience gained in the private sector, of developing innovative technologies with application and direct experience in developing countries;
- Knowledge of innovation support systems and how they affect growth and competitiveness. This includes relevant actors, such as financiers, R&D and/or university institutions, government ministries, incubators, industry groups, as well as relevant local and international initiatives;
- Experience in and knowledge of market realities in the Caribbean region, and an established network of public and private sector contacts in the region will be a plus;
- Ability to ensure the quality of delivery and portfolio performance management experience;
- Proven ability to work effectively in complex, multicultural teams in a matrix management environment;
- Effective communication skills, including the ability to speak articulately and persuasively, and to write concisely; and
- Experience with the Bank’s trust fund processes, appropriate accreditation and knowledge of implementing trust-funded activities will be a plus.
- Operational Project Management - Demonstrates broad knowledge of project management tools & methodologies; identifies key risks and mitigation measures; interprets background analysis and proposed solutions.
- Knowledge & Experience - Demonstrates broad knowledge of the core issues in T&C’s strategies and policies, and promotes T&C agenda and expertise in the Regions private sector stakeholders.
- Client Orientation - Takes personal responsibility and accountability for timely response to client queries, requests or needs, working to remove obstacles that may impede execution or overall success.
- Drive for Results - Takes personal ownership and accountability to meet deadlines and achieve agreed-upon results, and has the personal organization to do so.
- Teamwork (Collaboration) and Inclusion - Collaborates with other team members and contributes productively to the team's work and output, demonstrating respect for different points of view.
- Knowledge, Learning and Communication - Actively seeks knowledge needed to complete assignments and shares knowledge with others, communicating and presenting information in a clear and organized manner.
- Business Judgment and Analytical Decision Making - Analyzes facts and data to support sound, logical decisions regarding own and others' work.