TERMS OF REFERENCE (TOR)
Position: Incubation Officer
Project: Caribbean Mobile Innovation Project (CMIP)
Location: CARICOM (minimum of six countries)
Project End date: November 2017
Expected Start Date: February 2017
Contract Type:10 months
Duty Station: Kingston
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Caribbean Mobile Innovation Project, managed by a University of the West Indies (UWI) consortium consisting of the UWI Consulting, the Mona School of Business and Management (MSBM), and the Mona Business Support Services (MBSS), with funding support from infoDev-World Bank, is seeking to appoint an Incubation Officer.
The main objective of the Incubation Officer is the planning and execution of CMIP activities that accelerate the growth of the most talented, “incubation ready” entrepreneurs in the region.
The CMIP incubation service portfolio includes the following activities that were described in the background section (Appendix A):
● Startup Challenge pitch event: selection of finalists, coaching for finalists to prepare for the pitch event, selection of winners
● Acceleration type activities (all Phase II activities and services)
● Virtual Incubation support and alumni program (all Phase III activities and services)
Along with coordination, the role will require operational responsibilities, in order to achieve the program results. In particular, duties and responsibilities are expected to include at least the following:
A. Incubation Service Conceptualization and Planning
● Detailed design of CMIP incubation service portfolio and business model
● Track progress toward revenue targets specified in the Business Plan
● Review of the activities delivered in order to identify any updates and adaptations to the implementation approach and business model
B. Project Management and Execution
● Coordinate efforts of the CMIP team, consultants, and mHubs, to ensure the successful provision of CMIP incubation services to select participants, including:
○ Selecting and coaching the most talented entrepreneurs during the Startup Challenge
○ Managing the provision of seed financing to qualified entrepreneurs
○ Matching entrepreneurs with mentors
○ Providing entrepreneurs access to selected facilities (when possible)
○ Arranging networking events between the entrepreneurs as well as other members of the Caribbean and international mobile innovation ecosystem, including pitching and marketing opportunities at an international event
○ Providing entrepreneurs with investment readiness and investor engagement training and support
○ Operationalizing an active alumni program and network
● Ensure sufficient workflows between key project stakeholders, including mHubs
● Facilitate participant coordination, including ensuring efficient communication with those participating in CMIP incubation activities
● Contribute to reporting, outreach and communication efforts where necessary, including preparation of project briefs, presentations, promoting project events to key stakeholders, etc.
● Help to increase the public's knowledge of the project activities, with the focus on strengthening CMIPs online presence including the website and social networks like Facebook and Twitter
D. Monitoring and Evaluation and Reporting
● Ensure the collection and analysis of relevant M&E data, aggregate and prepare incubation portfolio results material for program reports, including those required by the World Bank
● Substantively contribute to the preparation of the necessary and quarterly analysis of project activities and use key findings and recommendations to strengthen the implementation of CMIP activities in the future.
The Incubation Officer will report to the CMIP Project Manager and will implement and operate within the policies set by the Steering Committee, and under the supervision of the UWI Consortium. The incumbent will also work closely with mHubs, different CMIP consortium members, World Bank team members and other project stakeholders.
The candidate should meet the following minimum qualifications:
● 5 years of relevant experience in the development of high-tech start-ups (ideally through a business incubator), including previous coaching/mentorship experience.
● A business degree from a recognized educational institution.
● Strong knowledge and experience of mobile industry ecosystem, and preferably a strong interest in mobile applications development and content targeting emerging markets.
● Strong entrepreneurial experience, preferably having started or run a business.
● Active involvement in technology start-up or developer communities, initiatives and/or other activities supporting the development of mobile innovation ecosystems.
● Excellent written and spoken English.
The following will be an advantage:
● Evidence of networking ability, particularly with the mobile and business communities in the region
● Experience in implementing technology solutions that have broad-based social benefit
● Positive human resource management experience (including career development, mentoring and coaching experience)
● Marketing and promotion knowledge
LOCATION AND WORKING CONDITIONS
The Incubation Officer will be contracted on a full-time basis. The candidate will operate from the UWI Campus in Mona, Jamaica. The post may require periods of local and international travel. The chosen candidate must be willing to work outside of business hours to meet deadlines or address issues that could compromise the achievement of strategic and financial objectives or service delivery.
DURATION OF ASSIGNMENT
The position is for a period of 10 months, with the possibility for extension.
Send application to firstname.lastname@example.org. Application deadline is Feb. 10, 2017.