This story is reposted from Fomobi – m:lab Trainees Churn Out Mobile Apps Startup. For more information about *iHub_, please visit http://www.ihub.co.ke/blog/.
Since March 1, 2011, the m:lab has been training the first wave of students on mobile application development. The training is facilitated by eMobilis working with the World Wide Web foundation, both of whom are m:lab consortium members. The World Wide Web Foundation contributes to building the curriculum, materials and structure of the training sessions as well as develop a repository of information for future entrepreneurs.
The students are about 2 months away from the end of their training program and a number of them are already engaged in entrepreneurial activities. This is as a direct result of application of the knowledge they have acquired coupled with their investment in the social capital from among the pool of trainees.
One of the startups resulting from the m:lab training is Fomobi, which is a team made up of students Carolyne Muchai, Nelson Bore, Dickson Ng'ang'a, Joshua Okemwa and Jacob Mwema.
Fomobi was established by a team of 5 m:lab trainees and in a short time has churned out a number of mobile applications including:
- M-tracker – A solution that adds value to the asset tracking industry by providing ease of navigation and real-time data for assets around the globe on basic phones
- Smart-shopper – A mobile application that provides price comparison across stores prior purchasing
- E-utility – An app tailored for the Ugandan market to enhance the process of revenue collection and cut costs for the utility providers while providing real-time and accurate data to the user.
- Pal Project – A project management tool aimed at keeping members of a team in sync with each other as they work on different tasks of a project using milestones and notifications.
- No-Cancer – No-Cancer provides facts, nutrition guide, expert take on various topics and cancer-survivors testimonials and advice in a bid to bridge the knowledge gap among Cancer patients.
- KMS – The Fomobi Knowledge Management System is tailor made for NGOs, enabling them to present information in an easy to read way while allowing sharing, distribution, storage and analysis.
Fomobi builds its products on bulk-sms systems, mobile web, web platforms and USSD. They also engage in system design and implementation, ICT consultancy and training.