Request for Expression of Interest published by the Ministry of Science and Technology of Mozambique
Republic of Mozambique Ministry of Science and Technology
Mozambique eGovernment and Communications Infrastructure Project (MEGCIP) and complementary funds
Credit 4601 – Moz
REQUEST FOR EXPRESSION OF INTEREST
SELECTION OF CONSULTANCY SERVICES TO ESTABLISH THE MAPUTO ICT INCUBATOR PROGRAM
This Invitation for Expression of Interest (EOI) follows the general procurement notice for this project that appeared in Development Business, issue no. P108934 of May 26th, 2010.
The Government of Mozambique (GoM) has received a Credit from the International Development Association (IDA) toward the cost of the Mozambique eGovernment and Communications Infrastructure Project (MEGCIP) and intends to apply part of the proceeds for contracting of services and infrastructure to establish the “Maputo ICT Incubation Program”. Other complementary funds to be used in this project will be obtained from the Finnish Government, channeled through infoDev.
OBJECTIVE OF ASSIGNMENT
To select a host organization (incubation partner) capable of supporting emerging ICT-enabled businesses and incubating them towards growth and success. The vision for the pilot incubator is that it will eventually become a national ICT small business support center, including additional physical and virtual facilities, contributing strategically to the sector’s growth.
SCOPE OF SERVICES
The Incubator will be guided by a business plan, agreed upon with the Ministry of Science and Technology (MCT). It is expected that the Incubator manager will be selected via a competitive process. The incubation model to be agreed upon with MCT will be expected to deliver on the following:
- Create affordable office space and facilities for small and medium-sized ICT companies. If a virtual/outreach model is proposed, then the minimum space requirement must be specified and made available free of charge
- Provide Human Resources to manage the Maputo ICT Incubator facilities and services. Where these resources will be “in sourced” indicate which organization will be providing these resources.
- Grow the ICT industry by facilitating the development and successful growth of early stage companies
- Attract investment into local ICT companies and services providers
- Build understanding among the broader business community in terms of the relevance and importance of small, innovative ICT companies in their value chains
- Position Mozambique as an ICT innovator on the African continent
- Develop a business model that generates revenue streams to ensure the sustainability of the incubator
- Generate funds in the medium to long term to support the expansion of the incubator
- Create linkages with strategic partners in building a sustainable ecosystem
- Support extension on the Maputo incubator through virtual support services and expansion to other physical locations (such as the Maluana Science Park or incubator facilities in other provinces throughout the country)
MCT acting as beneficiary institution now invites host organizations interested in managing the Maputo ICT incubator using their own facilities or those of their consortium partners. Interested host organizations must provide information indicating that they are qualified to perform the services. This should include evidence of:
- The availability of free space and facilities that can be used, with relatively little adaptation, to accommodate start-ups and SMEs , and which can be scaled up over time as the incubator grows;
- A close link to innovation and to entrepreneurs and the ability to generate, or attract, a steady flow of ICT business start-ups and requisite funding;
- Energetic, inspired and capable management able to stimulate the development of the ICT small business community. This team should be composed at least by the Maputo ICT Incubator Manager, Business Development Manager, Financial Manager, Administrative Officer and Secretary (the Incubator manager however may be selected in parallel),
- The host or at least one consortium partner should be of Mozambican origin and the institution based in Mozambique; and
- A viable business plan, geared towards meeting the objectives and purposes outlined above, and capable of sustaining growth after the expiry of the grant-support period.
This assignment is estimated to cover an initial two-year engagement for grant support with the possibility of extension, depending on the overall success of the program.
Host organizations will be selected in accordance with the procedures set out in the World Bank’s guidelines:
Selection and employment of consultants by World Bank Borrowers, May 2004 (revised October 2006, and May 2010). Interested consultants may obtain additional information at the address indicated below during the working days from 7:30 a.m. to 15:30 p.m. (local time) and on MCT web page www.mct.gov.mz.
Expression of interest must be delivered to the address below until 15:30 p.m. (local time) of January 23rd, 2011
Ministry of Science and Technology
Directorate of Infrastructure and Information Systems (DISI )
Av. Patrice Lumumba, 770
Tel.: +258 21 352800
Fax: +258 21 352860