Short Term Consultant - Communications Specialist (EPIC, October 2013)
Short Term Consultant - Communications Specialist
Entrepreneurship Program for Innovation in the Caribbean (EPIC)
The position is based in the Caribbean.
Seeking a communications professional to produce materials for print, web, and social media for our work in the Caribbean. Apply by October 17.
infoDev is seeking a communications professional on a short-term consultancy (STC) basis to plan strategic communications activities in the Caribbean, produce knowledge products (for both traditional and social media as necessary), marketing materials, robust web content to, inter alia document results stories for further retailing on all social media platforms and other online media channels for infoDev’s Entrepreneurship Program for Innovation in the Caribbean (EPIC). The selected candidate will work in close coordination with the local World Bank communications colleagues in the Caribbean region.
Note: This position is based in the Caribbean. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Please apply by October 17, 2013.
infoDev (www.infodev.org) is a global multi-donor program in the Financial and Private Sector Development Network of the World Bank Group. Its mission is to enable innovative entrepreneurship for sustainable, inclusive growth and employment in developing countries. It manages several trust funds including the Entrepreneurship Program for Innovation in the Caribbean (EPIC), for which this position is intended.
Duties and accountabilities
As part of infoDev’s overall communications strategy, the STC / Communications Specialist is responsible for planning, designing, executing and monitoring activities within the context of EPIC.
- Strategic planning. Help craft and implement a communications plan for EPIC. This plan will include major messages that the program(s) should deliver to a range of key target audiences; the types of materials needed to effectively convey those messages; and the means of dissemination (traditional and social media) best suited for those purposes. The Communications Specialist should be capable of identifying new opportunities, potential partners, and most importantly, impacting audiences, whether from governmental side, the World Bank, donors, media or a range of external publics. The STC should be able to develop and maintain (through networking and evolving knowledge) a strategic calendar of events and opportunities.
- Coordination. In tandem with infoDev’s Sr. Communications Officer, coordinate communications activities and external messages with local and regional World Bank communications colleagues (of relevant country offices throughout the CARICOM region, and especially with the World Bank Group Jamaica and Trinidad & Tobago representations).
- Outreach. Leverage diverse channels for outreach campaigns. Write web content and social media messages, organize - events (whether virtual or face to face), advise on team participation in global events, engage through social media.
- Produce knowledge products and marketing communications materials: write press releases, contribute to blogs, write or contribute to EPIC two-pagers, summary notes, presentations, results stories from field research and outreach; and publications. The STC / Communications Specialist should also help with evaluating new communication channels for opportunities in the innovative and technology-driven sectors, such as mobile innovation, climate innovation etc.
- Monitoring communications impact. Measure and track the impact of specific communication interventions and outreach activities, including web statistics.
- Visual Communications. The Communications Specialist will work closely with graphic designers and firms on the design of in-house print and online brochures, reports or publications and marketing materials. He/she must understand infoDev’s design style guide and have a good sense of translating complex information and data into visuals (infographics, figures, graphs, call out boxes, etc.). The Communications Specialist should also effectively support the development of ideas for cutting-edge communications materials (interactive PDFs, video, animation, etc.).
- Online communications and web-based activities. The Communications Specialist plays a strong content planning and project management role in the maintenance of infoDev’s website and social media platforms. He/she is expected to assist the Web Manager in maintaining infoDev's several web-based and social media channels.
The STC / Communications Specialist will report to infoDev’s Sr. Communications Officer, and will collaborate closely with the wider infoDev EPIC team and World Bank communications colleagues in the Caribbean region (notably of the Jamaica office). This position is based in the Caribbean. Initially, this will be a 6-month contract, with the possibility of extension, depending on performance.
- Highly creative, proactive, strategic and energetic; an idea generator and implementer.
- Ample work experience in and thorough knowledge of the Caribbean region, and specifically the CARICOM countries.
- Masters degree in professional discipline (Communications, International Relations/Public Affairs, Journalism, Marketing, or other related field) plus 5 years of relevant experience, or a Bachelors degree in a relevant field plus 8 years of relevant experience.
- A well-developed network of traditional and new / social media contacts in the Caribbean, particularly in Jamaica and Trinidad & Tobago.
- Experience working within development institutions is preferred but not required.
- Outstanding verbal and written skills, particularly the ability to synthesize complex messages and tailor them into simple, clear and non-academic language for different audiences.
- Proficient in the use of design programs for web and print, including knowledge of photo and image editing; working knowledge of programs like InDesign and Adobe Photoshop.
- Ability to write strong copy and produce well written press releases, feature articles, and publications. Excellent command of English.
- Profound knowledge of social media, with ample experience in web editing and proven experience in leading web marketing campaigns.
- Proven affinity with the field of technology entrepreneurship and innovation, and most notably mobile innovation and mobile social networking, climate technology innovation and women’s entrepreneurship in innovative sectors.
- Ability to work independently as well as in teams; ability to work in loose unstructured environment with fast-emerging opportunities.
Interested candidates can send their resume and a short statement of interest to Ms. Angela Bekkers (firstname.lastname@example.org) and to Mr. John Paul (email@example.com ) by October 17, 2013.