Short Term Consultant: Communications Specialist (September 2013)
Short Term Consultant: Communications Specialist
infoDev Headquarters in Washington, DC
infoDev is seeking a communications professional to plan strategic activities, produce materials for web and print, document results stories and create other online content.
infoDev is seeking a communications professional on a short-term consultancy (STC) basis to plan strategic communications activities, produce knowledge products (either for web or print) and marketing materials, document results stories and other content for the website and online media channels for two trust fund programs within the larger infoDev ‘umbrella’ program. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
infoDev (www.infodev.org) is a global multi-donor program in the Financial and Private Sector Development Network of the World Bank Group. Its mission is to enable innovative entrepreneurship for sustainable, inclusive growth and employment in developing countries. It manages several trust funds including the Creating Sustainable Businesses in the Knowledge Economy Program (CSBKE) and the Climate Technology Program (CTP), for which this position is intended.
Duties and accountabilities
As part of infoDev’s overall communications strategy, the STC / Communications Specialist is responsible for planning, designing, executing and monitoring activities within the context of the two dedicated trust funds.
- Strategic planning. Help craft and implement a communications plan for the CSBKE and CTP. This plan will include major messages that the program(s) should deliver to different audiences; the types of materials needed to effectively convey those messages; and the means of dissemination (traditional and social media) best suited for those purposes. The Communications Specialist should be a creative thinker, capable of identifying new opportunities with donors and other potential partners, and most importantly, impacting audiences, inside and outside the World Bank. The STC should be able to develop and maintain (through networking and evolving knowledge) a strategic calendar of events and opportunities.
- Outreach. Leverage diverse channels for outreach campaigns. Write web content and social media messages, organize (virtual and in person) events, advising on team participation in global events, engaging through social media. Coordinate, in collaboration with infoDev’s Sr. communications officer, the outreach efforts with World Bank network and regional colleagues.
- Produce knowledge products and marketing communications materials: write press releases, contribute to blogs, write or contribute to CSBKE and CTP two-pagers, summary notes, presentations, results stories from field research and outreach; and publications. The STC / Communications Specialist should also help with evaluating new communications opportunities in the relatively novel and cutting-edge areas CSBKE and CTP are working in, being mobile innovations, agribusiness innovation and climate technology innovation.
- Monitoring communications impact. Measure and track the impact of specific communications and outreach activities, including web statistics.
- Visual Communications. The Communications Specialist will work closely with graphic designers and firms on the design of in-house print brochures, reports or publications and marketing materials. He/she must understand infoDev’s design style guide and have a good sense of translating complex information and data into visuals (infographics, figures, graphs, call out boxes, etc.). The Communications Specialist should also help develop ideas for cutting-edge communications materials (interactive PDFs, video, animation, etc.).
Online communications and web-based activities. The Communications Specialist plays a strong content planning and project management role in the maintenance of infoDev’s website and social media platforms. He/she is expected to assist the Web Manager in maintaining infoDev's several web-based platforms, by:
- Coordinating with Team Leaders and regional colleagues for developments of projects on the ground.
- Revising content and adding new content (activity highlights, recent publications, videos) to the website.
- Translating CSBKE and CTP strategic objectives into an editorial calendar for web (entrepreneur stories and profiles, event recaps, etc.)
- Developing and implementing social media campaigns around main events, competitions / challenges, report launches.
The STC / Communications Specialist will report to infoDev’s Sr. Communications Officer. The infoDev program is growing and future contract opportunities could exist for the selected candidate, provided he/she performs satisfactorily.
- Highly creative, pro-active, strategic and energetic; an idea generator and implementer.
- Masters degree in professional discipline (Communications, International Relations/Public Affairs, Journalism, Marketing, Political Science, or other related field) plus 5 years of relevant experience, or a Bachelors degree in a relevant field plus 8 years of relevant experience.
- Experience working within development institutions is preferred but not required.
- Outstanding verbal and written skills, particularly the ability to synthesize complex messages and tailor them into simple, clear and non-academic language for different audiences.
- Proficient in the use of design programs for web and print, including knowledge of photo and image editing; working knowledge of programs like InDesign and Adobe Photoshop
- Ability to write strong copy and produce well written press releases, feature articles, and publications. Excellent command of English, knowledge of French desirable.
- Profound knowledge of social media, with ample experience in web editing and proven experience in leading web marketing campaigns
- Proven affinity with the field of technology entrepreneurship and innovation, and most notably mobile innovation and mobile social networking, climate technology innovation and / or agribusiness innovation;
- Able to work independently as well as in teams; ability to work in loose unstructured environment with fast-emerging opportunity;
Please send resume and short statement of interest to Roberto Pena at firstname.lastname@example.org.