To apply for this position, visit the World Bank's eConsult2 service at https://wbgeconsult2.worldbank.org/wbgec/index.html and use selection number 1094131.
Please note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
infoDev (www.infodev.org) is a global partnership program in the Financial and Private Sector Development Network of the World Bank Group. Its mission is to enable innovative entrepreneurship for sustainable, inclusive growth and employment in developing countries. infoDev is currently implementing an ambitious work program which includes the “Creating Sustainable Businesses in the Knowledge Economy Program” (CSBKE), a public-private partnership with the Government of Finland and Nokia. This program explores how to improve the productive capacity of enterprises, particularly SMEs, as engines for sustainable and equitable development. It incorporates a number of creative and cutting-edge activities, such as mobile applications laboratories (mLabs), social networks, access to finance and market mechanisms for technology SMEs and innovative agribusiness value chains. The program has global components, but its main focus is on Africa, Asia and Eastern Europe and Central Asia (ECA), and Vietnam has several initiatives under implementation.
mLab East Asia was launched in September 2012 and it is one of four mobile applications laboratories around the world (other mLabs are located in Armenia, Kenya, and South Africa). The mLab East Asia is and located at the Saigon Hi-Tech Business Incubator within the Saigon Hi-Tech Park, and hosted by a consortium including Saigon Hi-Tech Park, Vietnam National University, FPT University, and Elcom Ltd. The objective of the mLab is to enable and grow innovative, sustainable mobile application enterprises in Vietnam and the region. This is done by developing mobile entrepreneurship enablers on the ground and building mobile innovation networks of mobile developers and entrepreneurs. Project activities with key stakeholders of mobile ecosystems forges environments in which entrepreneurs can thrive. These include training and incubation of a new generation of mobile applications developers, a space for collaboration and networking, as well as facilities for startup teams and technical testing.
Duties and Accountabilities:
infoDev is seeking a locally (Ho Chi Minh City) based Short Term Consultant (STC) to help plan, coordinate and implement the mLab East Asia activities and support the local mLab team to ensure financial and operational self-sustainability. In particular, the consultant will:
- Support the effort to develop a community of mobile application developers and identify a pipeline of potential mobile entrepreneurs and successful applications that could be served by the mLab, and whose innovations could be replicated in new markets;
- Contribute to the design and help to run the planned Mobile Innovation Challenge and other relevant events and initiatives, that will create opportunities for developers to pilot new ideas and innovations and gain local and international attention and targeted coaching and incubation support;
- Assist the mLab manager to establish and implement a training program that could widen the local talent pool of developers for mobile applications and enable the development of sustainable mobile application enterprises. Support with the development of training materials and deliver courses, as appropriate;
- Assist the mLab manager to establish a functional testing environment for mobile applications, especially by working with relevant industry partners such as Nokia, Microsoft, etc..
- Help to build a strong brand for the mLab, with the focus on strengthening its online presence including the web-site and social networks like Facebook and Twitter.
- Support the mLab manager to monitor and track the progress of the activities and deliverables, execute a monitoring and evaluation framework, and prepare both internal and external reports;
- Assist business development and fund raising to secure local and international donor, public and private money to further sustain and scale-up the model;
- Help with the appointment of a sound operational team for the mLab and with the establishment of local and international partnerships;
- Carry out other tasks that might be assigned by the infoDev Task Manager, the Task Team Leader or the CSBKE Program Coordinator.
The Consultant will be working closely with both infoDev mobile innovation program staff and the mLab East Asia staff and Steering Committee members to ensure that key activities are completed and delivered within deadlines.
- Masters degree in engineering, business, economics, or a related discipline and at least 5-10 years of relevant experience;
- Evidence of strong project management skills that will lead to on-time delivery of expected outcome;
- A strong knowledge of mobile industry ecosystem in Vietnam. Commercial experience in working with a mobile applications developer, an equipment manufacturer or an operator would be an advantage;
- Evidence of networking ability. Preferably an active involvement in technology start-up or developer communities, initiatives and/or other activities supporting the development of mobile innovation ecosystems;
- Experience in mobile technology and/or entrepreneurial education, training & certification will be seen as advantage;
- Excellent written and spoken English;
- Vietnam based candidates strongly preferred.