Part of the World Bank’s Financial and Private Sector Development Network, infoDev is an expert team focused on technology entrepreneurship and innovation as a source of competitiveness and sustainable job creation. In response to the many hurdles faced by entrepreneurs in developing countries, infoDev works to improve competitiveness, employment and sustainable, inclusive growth by helping innovative, technology-enabled ventures succeed. infoDev serves its clients, donors, partners, and the wider development community by:
• Experimenting and pioneering on-the-ground approaches to supporting growth-oriented entrepreneurs in developing countries;
• Influencing the global innovation and technology entrepreneurship agenda;
• Developing and implementing scalable programs specifically targeted for mobile, climate and agribusiness enterprises;
• Promoting inclusive strategies that benefit marginalized groups, women, people living in extreme poverty (i.e., users at the “base of the pyramid”), minorities, youth, and others.
infoDev’s Mobile Innovation Program
The Mobile Innovation Program team enables the development of innovative, sustainable mobile application enterprises. We do this by: 1) convening local and global innovation networks of mobile developers and entrepreneurs; 2) enabling entrepreneurship on the ground; 3) researching the economic opportunity for mobile entrepreneurs in the global South. For more information, please visit www.infodev.org/mobile
Scope of Work
The consultant will support infoDev’s mobile innovation team, with particular focus on activities related to market assessments of mobile innovation ecosystems in Africa, and on the unique position of women entrepreneurs in the mobile industry. Specifically, the consultant will:
1) Help to convene and consult a variety of stakeholders through workshops, focus groups, one-on-one interviews and surveys to gather qualitative and quantitative data on the opportunities, challenges and needs related to innovation in mobile applications;
2) Analyze, synthesize and edit primary and secondary research from various in-country activities including focus groups, surveys, workshops and interviews;
3) Based on consultation with infoDev staff and existing draft reports of mobile innovation ecosystems in a number of African countries, develop an adaptable mHub/mLab business model blueprint and implementation plan, including an overview of expected outcomes and impacts, for select markets in sub-Saharan Africa;
5) Ensure timely and effective management of all documents and contact databases for internal and external audiences;
6) Assist with outreach and participation of mobile entrepreneurs in Mobile Startup Camp, a week-long acceleration program for African startups, to be held in November 2013 in Washington, DC.
7) Assist with outreach to women entrepreneurs in the mobile industry, production and distribution of a media kit on mobile women entrepreneurs, and development of strategic initiatives to strengthen our offering for women entrepreneurs with high-growth potential;
8) Assist the mobile innovation team in other activities including contributing input to reports, publications, presentations, analytical products, outreach materials and operational projects;
9) Other duties, as assigned.
- Master’s Degree in a related discipline
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience
- Strong writing skills
- Ability to work in an intercultural team setting
- Willingness to travel
- French and Spanish proficiency a plus
Period of Assignment and Reporting
The consultant will be hired from October to December 2013 with potential for extension.
To apply, please email your resume and covering letter to Kalyah Ford, firstname.lastname@example.org before September 30, 2013. We thank all applicants for their interest and time and regret that we can only respond to successful candidates