infoDev (www.infodev.org) is a global partnership program within the World Bank Group which works at the intersection of innovation, technology, and entrepreneurship to create opportunities for inclusive growth, job creation and poverty reduction. infoDev is a thought leader in technology-enabled small business incubation, assisting governments and technology-focused small and medium sized enterprises (SMEs) to grow jobs, improve capacity and skills, increase access to finance and markets, ensure the appropriate enabling policy and regulatory environment for business to flourish, and test out innovative solutions in developing country markets. We work in partnership with other development programs, with World Bank/IFC colleagues, and with stakeholders from the public, private and civil society sectors in the developing world.
- Firms can receive financing through proof-of-concept grants (up to USD 50K) and seed investments (USD 50K-1M), as well as investment facilitation at more advanced stages.
- The CICs offer business advisory and training through mentorship, networking, seminars, and other services that build professional expertise.
- To improve the competitiveness of local firms, the CICs provide local technology information, market intelligence and access to business/technical facilities.
- By aggregating firm and industry insights, the CICs conduct policy advocacy through hosting dialogues with government, researching trends and documenting best practices for SME and climate technology regulation.
- The CTP program is growing as it rolls out its Global Activities and ensures the successful establishment of the global network of CICs. Global Activities ensure CICs are connected globally to each other and the international community in the following ways:
- CIC Design and Implementation: CIC LAUNCH will lead scoping, design, resource mobilization and implementation activities to meet client country demand for CICs.
Global Financing: The IGNITE Fund will mobilize and syndicate global funding for high-impact climate technologies and offer deal-flow to public and private investors eager to support promising climate ventures in developing countries.
Evidence-based Analysis: Climate TRACK will actively package lessons from individual CICs and provide cutting edge analytical products and policy toolkits on supporting private sector innovators in developing countries.
Connecting Markets: Market CONNECT will provide software, web-enabled services and networking technology to build interconnectivity between CICs and link promising companies with global partners and expertise.
Measurement Tools: Impact Xchange will provide each CIC with a web-based Impact Monitoring System (IMS) to track results and impacts in real-time.
Job Description / Scope of Work
The Consultant will primarily support the CTP’s operational activities, a role which is envisioned to grow as the CTP continues to scale at both the national and global levels.
- Write, synthesize and summarize major sections of the CTP strategic documents including prospectus, CIC business/implementation plans, concept notes, annual report and other relevant documents.
- Research macro-economic contexts, technology sectors, markets, policies and relevant institutions of countries hosting or proposing to host a CIC.
- Contribute research and writing and supervise survey design and data collection for a report on the impact of new ventures in clean technology industries.
- Work with the Program Coordinator, Task Managers and consultants to prepare major frameworks, matrices and models that will be used within program documents (e.g. CTP strategic plan and CIC business plans) and to fulfill donor requirements.
- Gather, analyze and interpret primary and secondary research from various data sources including desk reviews, focus groups, surveys, workshops and interviews.
- Support the Task Managers with project/document management and compliance with infoDev/World Bank protocols to ensure that deliverables are completed within specific time-frames.
- Draft tactical communications pieces (operations updates, blog posts, presentation/talking points, CTP newsletter, etc).
- Format, proof-read and edit documents to ensure consistency and high standards of quality.
- Manage and maintain the CTP database of contacts.
- Liaise with infoDev colleagues, as well as consultants and stakeholders (internal and external to the World Bank Group).
- Perform other tasks as required by the Program Coordinator and Task Managers.
In addition, the Consultant will have the opportunity to contribute to, coordinate and/or supervise upcoming special projects, such as:
- A study on the opportunity for clean technology SME’s in developing nations
- The rollout of CTP Global Activities.
The successful candidate will possess the following:
- MBA or masters degree in a relevant discipline (e.g. business, economics, technology management, energy policy) plus 3-5 years of related World Bank Group or external experience;
- Experience working on entrepreneurship and SME development issues in developing countries, including some knowledge of business incubation cycles;
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communications skills that will result in high-quality written work and successful interaction with internal and external stakeholders;
- Knowledge of environment, energy, climate change and/or green growth sectors, policies, institutions and markets (desirable).
- Knowledge of appropriate SME support mechanisms, including access to finance, public policies, and linkages and eco-systems to grow sustainable enterprises;
- Strong track record of research, analysis, report writing and the ability to produce concrete and actionable recommendations;
- Experience with survey design, data collection and data manipulation (desirable).
- Experience with modern monitoring and evaluation practices and systems (desirable).
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative, manage multiple priorities, and work independently;
- Resourcefulness, efficiency and attention to detail in all areas of work;
- Experience working in a multicultural team;
- Fluency in English;
How to apply
Applications will be accepted until Sunday, July 21 2013 or until the position is filled.
- Brief statement of motivation / cover letter no more than 1 page (in the body of the email)
- CV (as PDF or Word attachment)
For more information visit: www.infodev.org/climate