The ICT sector has driven up to 40% of economic growth in East Africa in the past 10 years. Most of that growth has been in large companies; the next phase can be led by SMEs, as long as the necessary and targeted policy interventions are made:
- Develop a fully connected SME network
- Fill the skills gap in advanced business and technical knowledge
- Provide start-up and early stage funding for companies
- Enable job creation for knowledge workers, and
- Upgrade the business environment
These policy interventions can address the system-wide challenges that ICT-related SMEs in East Africa face, and allow SMEs to create more of the quality jobs East Africa needs.