WINC is targeting support and services for growth-oriented, innovative women entrepreneurs and business owners in CARICOM countries. Its objectives are:
- To assist existing Caribbean women-led businesses which have the capacity to grow substantially via the adoption of innovative practices and products;
- To provide sector-specific support and advice to women entrepreneurs developing technology-oriented innovative businesses;
- To strengthen networks of innovative women entrepreneurs who can support each other, share knowledge and ideas, and inspire others by showcasing their success stories. These will connect with other women entrepreneurs around the world via infoDev’s Global Incubator Network;
- To grow the pipeline of successful growth-oriented, innovative women entrepreneurs by providing a package of assistance to those with entrepreneurial aptitude and ambition.
WINC will be rolling out several activities in 2013, starting with this Innovative Women Entrepreneurs Competition. This competition will be followed by Creativity & Innovation workshops in July, providing valuable business training for women entrepreneurs. These workshops will be piloted in Barbados and Jamaica initially, however WINC will engage strongly across the rest of the region to provide services to women entrepreneurs across CARICOM countries. All training materials, useful information, connections etc. will be shared through WINC’s online communities.
Two winners of the Innovative Women Entrepreneurs Competition will have the opportunity to participate in infoDev’s 5th Global Forum on Innovation and Technology Entrepreneurship. The Global Forum is hosted by the South African Department of Science and Technology, and is expected to attract over 600 participants ranging from entrepreneurs, business incubator managers, private sector and government representatives, financiers, members of the media and donors. Highlights of the 2013 Global Forum will include:
- interactive learning sessions around green growth and clean technologies, mobile applications, and agribusiness entrepreneurship;
- the launch of an African Women Entrepreneurs’ Roundtable;
- a cutting-edge training course for business incubator and technology hub managers;
- the chance to watch and learn from live pitching contests with real investors;
- inspiring keynote speeches from private & public sector leaders about the journey ‘From mind to market’;
- learning from experts about new ways to access finance through web platforms, angel investors and other sources;
WHO SHOULD APPLY
If any of the below apply to you or your company, we encourage you to apply:
- A woman entrepreneur and/or the CEO or Executive Manager of a woman-owned business based in CARICOM
- Looking to grow your business and seeing good growth prospects locally and/or abroad
- Impatient to grow your market share and product portfolio in your quest to grow your business, substantially
- Open to innovative methods/business approaches/products/processes that could be applied to your business to drive its growth
- Open to using technology to expand the operations of your business
- Would benefit from business coaching support
- Looking for an opportunity to meet and learn from other successful entrepreneurs
- Supportive also of other women entrepreneurs on their journey to success with a strong desire to “pay it forward”.
HOW TO APPLY
Your completed application (Sections 1-5) must not exceed 5 pages, maintaining the current page margins and Calibri font size 10. You may however remove the footnotes.
Have questions about the competition, application process or Global Forum? Email them to firstname.lastname@example.org or post them on WINC’s Facebook page before midnight EST on Wednesday 10th April 2013. Responses to all questions received by both means before then will be posted on WINC’s Facebook page within 24 hours so that the same information is accessible to everyone. It will be your responsibility to keep abreast of these updates.