Pivot East has recognized some of the most buzzworthy firms in our network of mobile incubators since it first launched in 2011 as Pivot25.
MafutaGo, one of this year’s winners, comes hot off its victory at the Mobile Premier Awards in Barcelona. MedAfrica, which just claimed the top spot in the Company Category of the Ericsson Application Awards, first drew international attention as a winner of Pivot25, last year’s version of the contest.
The winners by category are:
- Financial Services: SchoolBursar, which streamlines the process of receiving and managing payments through M-Pesa.
- Business and Resource Management: EasyOrder, an SMS-based mobile ordering and supply chain management application which simplifies the process of ordering goods from manufacturers and distributors.
- Entertainment: Ma3racer, a racing game set in Nairobi’s highways.
- Mobile Society: Mprep, an SMS study solution for students, teachers, and schools.
- Utilities: MafutaGo, a mobile and web app that enables users to find the nearest gas station that fits their budget and product needs.
In a majority decision, the judging panel awarded Ma3racer the grand prize—an all-expenses paid trip to GITEX Technology Week in Dubai, where the team will have a coveted chance to showcase its app to investors.