DUTIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
infoDev is seeking to hire a Short Term Consultant (STC) who will edit final drafts of publications and will coordinate with task managers / task team leaders about the development of final drafts into manuscripts. The publications editor will also guide the production process and manage the production from manuscript to graphic design to print. The publications editor will serve as a first interface with a graphic designer, and will be part of the communications team.
Concrete tasks will be:
1. For most of infoDev’s upcoming publications (studies, reports, official memos) provide a ‘level 2’ / intermediate level of copyediting. Sometimes, only a level 1 editing might be necessary.
2. Format final drafts according to the Chicago Manual of Style, including verifying & dating stamp websites in the report references.
3. Provide a finalized manuscript to the point persons (task manager of TTL) within the team in a timely manner.
4. Coordinate with the communications team and the internal publications committee for the different levels of approvals and reviews.
5. Guide the production process from manuscript to designed and printed final publication.
6. Provide input into the creative development of a publication.
7. Be the first interlocutor with a graphic designer or design firm and printer. In case of a web publication, ensure that the publication is posted to the website in a timely fashion.
8. Guide and improve artwork, photos, charts, and other graphic elements of a publication; do photo or illustration research.
- A BA or MA degree in Communications, English, International Relations, or other relevant degree.
- A minimum of 5 years relevant work experience, including ample experience in copyediting, writing, or publications management.
- Ample experience in editing various types of publications; previous experience in copyediting reports from the World Bank an asset.
- Excellent writing skills and command of the English language.
- Experience in photo research and photo editing is desired.
- Desirable: ability in image creation and manipulation, and preparing documents for publication using such applications as Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, and InDesign.
- Experience in web editing and web publishing is desirable.
- Knowledge of World Bank publications and its Open Data policy is desirable.
- Positive, energetic, and ambitious work attitude, willingness to work within a team environment.
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to communicate effectively with staff at junior and senior levels.
August 15, 2013 – June 2014. This position is for an initial trial period of 20 working days, with a possibility to extend into a part-time position (2 – 3 days a week throughout the year) depending on performance and workload.
The publications editor will report to infoDev’s Sr. Communications Officer.
How to apply:
Interested and eligible candidates should send a CV and cover letter to: Kalyah Ford (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Roberto Peña (email@example.com)