Note that this is a contract for 120 days (per fiscal year); only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
infoDev (www.infodev.org) is a global partnership program, coordinated and served by an expert Secretariat housed in the Finance and Private Sector (FPD) Vice Presidency of the World Bank Group. Its strategic goal is to promote the growth of technology enterprises to enhance sustainable inclusive growth, competiveness, and jobs. infoDev focuses on the following key areas to achieve its goal: (i) assisting in taking technologies to market; (ii) assisting in creating and growing sustainable enterprises that are technology enabled; (iii) promoting an enabling environment for innovation to promote enterprise growth, ensure effective competition, and thus allow the market to lower price obstacles to technology adoption; (iv) disseminating research and best practices to enhance growth and sustainability of enterprises in the technology and technology-enabled space; (v) building capacity to enhance the sustainability of enterprises; and (vi) providing technical assistance to incubators to ensure Access to Finance (A2F) and Access to Markets (A2M). Over the past year, it published 12 – 15 publications, including World Bank-led ESWs and infoDev trust-fund-financed studies, reports and business plans.
DUTIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
infoDev is seeking to hire a Short Term Consultant (STC) who will edit final drafts of publications and will coordinate with task managers / task team leaders about the development of final drafts into manuscripts. The publications editor will also guide the production process and manage the production from manuscript to graphic design to print. The publications editor will serve as a first interface with a graphic designer, and will be part of the communications team.
Concrete tasks will be:
1. For most of infoDev’s upcoming publications (studies, reports, official memos) provide a ‘level 2’ / intermediate level of copyediting. Sometimes, only a level 1 editing might be necessary.
2. Format final drafts according to the Chicago Manual of Style and the infoDev style guide (/en/PublicationType.aspx?id=103), including verifying & dating stamp websites in the report references.
3. Provide a finalized manuscript to the point persons (task manager of TTL) within the team in a timely manner.
4. Coordinate with the communications team and the internal publications committee for the different levels of approvals and reviews.
5. Guide the production process from manuscript to designed and printed final publication.
6. Provide input into the creative development of a publication.
7. Be the first interlocutor with a graphic designer or design firm and printer. In case of a web publication, ensure that the publication is posted to the website in a timely fashion.
8. Guide and improve artwork, photos, charts, and other graphic elements of a publication; do photo or illustration research.
· A BA or MA degree in Communications, Literature / Languages or International Relations, or other relevant degree.
· A minimum of 5 years relevant work experience, including ample experience in copyediting, writing, or publications management.
· Ample experience in editing various types of publications; previous experience in copyediting reports from the World Bank an asset.
· Excellent writing skills and command of the English language.
· Experience in photo research and photo editing is desired.
· Desirable: ability in image creation and manipulation, and preparing documents for publication using such applications as Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, and InDesign.
· Experience in web editing and web publishing is desirable.
· Knowledge of World Bank publications and its Open Data policy is desirable.
· Positive, energetic, and ambitious work attitude, willingness to work within a team environment.
· Excellent communication skills, including the ability to communicate effectively with staff at junior and senior levels.
1st of June 2012 – April 2013. This is expected to be a part-time position (2 – 3 days a week) throughout the year. An extension is possible, depending on workload and performance.
The publications editor will report to infoDev’s Sr. Communications Officer.
How to apply:
Eligible candidates are requested to send a CV and cover letter to: Angela Bekkers (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Roberto Peña (email@example.com)