An announcement by COSTECH
Tanzania Commission of Science and Technology (COSTECH) is a national body established by the Act of parliament No 7 of 1986. COSTECH Mission is to foster knowledge based economy through promotion, coordination of research, technology development and innovation for sustainable development in Tanzania, while its vision is to be a prime driver of science, technology and innovation for sustainable development in realizing the country Development Vision 2025. COSTECH is the principal advisory organ to the Government on all matters pertaining to Science, Technology and Innovation (STI) and their application for socio-economic development of the country.
COSTECH, together with partners from the Tanzanian private and academic sectors, and infoDev, is developing a Tekinohama business incubator in Dar es Salaam to support ICT (Information and Communications Technology) companies with high growth potential. This will be an autonomous and private sector driven entity assisting early stage ICT companies by lowering the cost of business and increasing the chances of business survival because of: access to shared resources and building infrastructure; access to finance and markets through credible support, guidance and business management; targeted mentoring and coaching; and networking opportunities to access markets. In accomplishing above requirement COSTECH has immediate opening and would like to invites qualified and competent Tanzanian nationals to fill the following position soonest, women are encouraged to apply
Job Title: Business Development Manager (BDM) -1 position
Position scope and purpose
The BDM is responsible for supporting the incubated companies in structuring and developing their business strategies and facilitating access to markets.
Duties and responsibilities
- Diagnosis of incubated companies to identify strengths and weaknesses at different levels: personal, business model, products and services, marketing, management, etc.
- Diagnosis of external market conditions including opportunities and threats; market research; competitor analyses; development of business processes and sales policies; and tracking of sales activities etc.
- Support for the development of a detailed business growth plans and ongoing performance evaluation of incubated companies.
- Monitoring of financial performance of incubated companies.
- Relationship and network building with key private sector and government stakeholders to source business opportunities for incubated companies.
- Bringing in interventions through entrepreneurial events and private sector sponsorship opportunities to the incubator.
- Secure critical opportunities for incubator and its stakeholders for business growth.
- Assistance in the negotiation of contracts and market access on behalf of incubated companies.
Keep pace with developments in technology management, marketing and business organization to enable cutting edge support to incubated companies.
Perform other related duties when required and / or at the request of the Incubator Manager.
A degree in Business Management, Economics or equivalent ,an MBA will be an added advantage
Knowledge, Skills, and Experience
- At least five years of experience in a middle management position where business development activities were undertaken and where proof of positive outcomes can be presented (e.g. increase in sales; company market position etc.).
- Evidence of networking and relationship building ability.
- Evidence of negotiating and deal making ability.
- Experience in selling ICT related services and/or products will be an advantage.
- Computer literacy.
Key Attributes include
- Ability to multi-task with meeting tight deadlines and work under conflicting time pressure ;
- Ability to prioritize ;
- Innovative and creativeness;
- Ability to work in a team environment;
- Demonstrate initiative, yet be able to follow instructions and procedures –trainability;
- Strong organization skills;
- Well developed communicative skills;
- High Integrity; strong results orientation; drive for excellence and takes initiative;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Strong interpersonal and relationship management skills;
- Excellent command of written and spoken English and Swahili;
- Experience in providing business development advisory services to small enterprises will be an advantage;
- Maintain a corruption free office environment
Salaries attached to the above positions are attractive and competitive, negotiable according to qualifications and experiences.
MODE OF APPLICATION
Applications with full particulars of the applicant, interested candidate should forward the application letter outlining how s/he is suitable for the position attaching up to date curriculum vitae, copies of certificate, testimonials and three names of referees with contacts to the following address below, electronic submission will also be acceptable by this email: email@example.com
Tanzania Commission for Science and Technology,
P.O. Box 4302,
DAR ES SALAAM.
For further information visit COSTECH and Infodev website www.costech.or.tz
Applicants are requested to indicate their telephone and/or fax numbers and e-mail addresses for easy contact.
Closing date for receiving all applications is on or before Monday, 21st February 2011, only short listed will be contacted.