The training program, that was taking place on 03 and 04 of December 2009, applied infoDev’s Incubation Toolkit with a translation in the Mongolian language. Today in Mongolia, incubators operate in only 8 out of 21 provinces of the country. Therefore, one of the main objectives of the training program was to provide skills and tools on how to plan and start a business incubation program. The training successfully integrated elements of infoDev’s Incubator Manager Training Program such as the “Financing Incubators and Incubator Clients” module and IFC’s SME Toolkit.Training participants furthermore discussed the potentials of co-incubation by splitting into working groups and jointly elaborating the opportunities of collaboration. Major outcomes of the training include the following recommendations:
- In addition to training services, a consulting team supporting the incubators will be set up.
- Additional training modules addressing clients will be developed.
- The BTWI incubator guidelines will be disseminated among other business incubators in the country.ICT capabilities and e-readiness of incubators will be strengthened. Focus will be on connectivity, incubator database and website development. MNBIF will support incubators in Mongolia to strengthen their ICT capabilities.
- Awareness and understanding on business incubation in the different regions of Mongolia will be fostered by effective public relations such as newsletters and articles in mass media on regional levels.
- An incubator client needs survey will be conducted by rural incubators in Mongolia.
- MNBIF will develop quality standards for Mongolian business incubators.
As an important part of the event, strategic discussions on further cooperation of MNBIF and the Government of Mongolia were held. Furthermore, the program discussed the current status of business incubation in Mongolia, and provided information and good practice from international programs and networks including infoDev’s incubator initiative and the 3rd Global Forum, APIN and AABI and their programs. The training was successfully closed with the announcement of an International Business Incubators Conference to take place in Ulan Bator in June 2010 with the support of the Mayor of Ulan Bator.
About business incubation in Mongolia
The first business incubators in Mongolia started operation in 2007. With support of the Ministry of Social Welfare and Labor of Mongolia, 11 incubator centers and five SME support centers have successfully been operating in the past two years. In January 2008, the Mongolian National Business Incubators Federation (MNBIF) was established.Since 2007, incubators in Mongolia mainly focused on providing consulting to start-ups, offering office and work space, loans, as well as marketing services. MNBIF has set the goal to co–incubate the business incubators in local areas, providing them with opportunities to share experiences, to build up client capacities especially in how to successfully apply ICT. MNBIF is also planning to develop performance criteria for business incubators in Mongolia and to strengthen awareness building and outreach of incubators by publishing good practice of incubation and entrepreneurship, and by organizing competitions.
Learn more about this incubator here.