22 September, 2011
Time: 10:00 - 11:30 AM Venue: IFC building, L-101
The growth of innovative, early-stage enterprises in developing countries is hampered by a lack of both appropriate financing and targeted technical assistance. Supporting innovative SMEs to get out of the ‘Valley of Death’ with early-stage financing, is a cornerstone of development as it helps to enable more sustainable businesses, leading to job creation and economic growth.
The panel discussion will explore why there is such an acute early-stage financing gap, discuss what innovative financing products and services are currently available, assess where the gaps lie and brainstorm where the World Bank Group can catalyze solutions.
- Mr. Fadi Ghandour (Founding Partner of Maktoob.com, the world’s largest Arab online community)
- Mr. John May (Chairman Emeritus of Angel Capital Association Partner of the New Vantage Group)
- Mr. Hossam Mahgoub (President and CEO, alKhawarizmy Software)
- Mr. Adrian Magendzo (Deputy Director of Innovative Entrepreneurship, CORFO Chile)
- Mr. Mohsen Khalil, Director, Climate Business Group, IFC
Sponsored by infoDev, a global program within the Finance and Private Sector Development Vice-Presidency of the World Bank Group